Tuesday, July 8, 2008

To love Boston

A colleague and a friend both told me before coming to Boston that it's their favorite city in America. Being in here for 3 days and left on Sunday made me realized I actually felt the same as well.

The excitement in this town simply never ends, no matter from its history, intellectuality, beauty, landscape, or people. I haven't been here for long to make a conclusion that it's the best town in the States, but it definitely is till date my favorite city.

Since I arrived on Thursday, I've been staying with JJ in Harvard, and have met up with Nick Kim - one of the best ReFresh-ers who taught me how to dance, and then been meeting up with Eric Bell - my fellow "Wall-E" inventor - for a few times. There's been some enjoyable conversation in this nice town. So great! ;)

And then yesterday there was the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular, to celebrate the 4th of July weekend. JJ and I actually waited along the Charles River for 4 hours starting 6 pm, and then to observe the entire event starting from the moment the orchestra played at 8.30pm. Never had I ever seen such patriotism and commonness of tens and thousands of people, gathering at a single place! No matter if its for the country, or for the Red Sox, it's an exciting atmosphere.
The two F-12 tactical fighter fly-over added more acoustic to the celebration - especially when it flew right above our heads!
The fireworks was even better! It really was the best I've ever seen in my entire life! Extremely well choreographed with the music, the orchestra etc. It's spectacular!

Today was even more exciting.
I went on a walk on Freedom Trail, visiting all the historical sites, including
The State House : ( ps JJ didn't come coz he's tooooo lazzzyyyyyyy ;p ;p ;p )

The Boston City Hall, Faneuil Fall, Quincy Market, Whale Watch harbor, the North Church, and the USS Constitution:


       Boston City Hall                 Quincy Market 



       North Church                   The USS Constitution 

One of the things that I really like was the almost pure European style shops in the North Church area. Italian cuisine, people playing harmonica and violin, horses carriages etc... it's just mesmerizing.



Another thing is the diversity that I got to witness here. It could be that the North Church area was flooded
with primarily tourist, but from all around Boston, there are people from basically any ethnicity that you can name, speaking a myriad of different languages. Just in this one day alone traveling Freedom Trail and then taking the -T- to dinner, I heard fluent speakers of Spanish, Italian, French, German, Chinese, Thai, Cantonese, Korean, and I think Vietnamese as well. The diversity is simply great.

To say that Boston is a city that incorporate both modern city life and strong cultural roots is certainly not an exaggeration.

How did my last day in Boston ended? With Boston Lobsta~~!
We finally went back to Legal Seafoods (this time in Copley, Eric) to get a taste of Lobstha~ and Oystha~ and for JJ - Chowdha~


This has perhaps been the best vacation I've had since I've come to the States. And I think I'm going to come back here again someday!

No comments: